Tuesday, April 17, 2018

My 1969 Topps Set is Complete!

I recently requested and received a shipment from COMC.  I hadn't had anything shipped since the free shipping on Black Friday but after picking up the last few cards for my 1969 Topps set I had little patience and decided to have my 176 card inventory delivered so the cards for my 69 set would all be in hand.

Here are the final 3 cards, all of HOFers, that put the end to my 1969 set quest. 


First up is a rookie card of HOF Manager Bobby Cox from back in his playing days.  One of the highlights of the 1969 set has to be the awesome All-Star Rookie cup.


Next up is another rookie HOFer, Rollie Fingers.  This pic of him in his pre-handlebar days makes him almost unrecognizable.  I think I had a copy of this card at one point and decided to trade it away before going after this set.


Finally, a great looking card of HOF Ted Williams as manager of the Washington Senators.  This is a card I am certain I had previously and I recall sending it to another blogger who I think needed it as the last card for his set.  Fitting that it was the last card I had in my possession to finish off my set.

This set quest started with a flurry of activity with the purchase of a partial set and a bunch of singles.  When I first posted back at the beginning of 2017 I only needed 41 cards.  It took about 15 months to get those last 41 cards, not too bad for a 1960s vintage set.  It was a blast to put this together and now it is time to figure out which set quest to embark upon next!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your set! It's pretty impressive too that you were able to do it in such a relatively short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Weird set, but I have a childhood connection to it that makes me want to own its cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have a lot yet to go with 1970-1972. But someday 1969 will be in my crosshairs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. I'm a long way from completing mine. But, hopefully after a trade with Bo I'll be able to have it in my sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on completing the set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Congrats. I may try this one someday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. As someone just happy to be closing in on completing a 1980 Topps set, I'm more than impressed when someone can complete a classic like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Don't start a new one too quickly. Bask in the glory for a while first

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on competing this set. It's a good year for it, what with Heritage paying homage. Nice way to end it, with the Ted Williams manager card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Great way to wrap up this set. As for that Fingers... even Mr. Floyd doesn't recognize Rollie without his 'stache.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Love the '69 set. The Bench is one of my all-time faves.

    ReplyDelete