Saturday, January 25, 2014

I have solved my issue with oversized cards

I have long had a challenge with how to store my odd sized cards, particularly those that are over sized.  I have picked up a few 4 pocket, 2 pocket and 1 pocket pages over the years but typically I have several different cards stuffed in each pocket. My Rickey Henderson and Willie McCovey binders were the worst.  With regards to my Giants collection, I just had a box that I put them all in unprotected.  In addition to cards, I have picked up quite a few postcard team sets for my Giants collection.

Over the holidays I finally solved my problem.  When I was down visiting some friends near my old house I stopped by my former LCS and bought a complete box of 4 pocket and 2 pocket pages - 100 of each.  I have gone through my player binders and those cards are now displayed much better.  I have started work on my Giants collection as well and hope to have that done in the next couple weeks.

I now feel much more enthusiasm when running across over sized cards and recently picked up two very nice ones.

 First up is a felt pennant feature Giants HOFer Mel Ott. This came out of 2013 Panini Cooperstown.  There was one box topper per hobby box.  I already had a McCovey from this set and am happy to add Master Melvin.  The red color doesn't particularly match the Giants (a Phillie or Red would look pretty cool in this set) but still a decent overall look.

 Turning the pennant over you see a box at the top with the card number and all the legal mumbo jumbo.  I do like the induction year into the HOF as an addition however.  In addition to Ott and McCovey, Christy Mathewson and Carl Hubbell are in this set.  I think I will try to track them down. If I pick up a second McCovey I could have a nice, full 4 pocket page in the Giants binder.

 The second pickup is this excellent Buster Posey card from 2011 Topps Lineage.  This is modeled after the Topps Giants cards from 1964.  I love the image in the the catchers gear and the baseball in the corner with the name/position/team is great.  I already had the Tim Lincecum from this set so I now have the Giants team set.

The back is pretty cool.  It has a newspaper feel.  A nice black and white photo of his swing follow through and some info about Buster's rookie year NL Player of the Week performance.

I am very happy to have added these cards to my collection and even happier I have a proper way to store and display them.

1 comment: