Monday, October 31, 2016

McCovey Monday #88 - 2016 Stadium Club Legends

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1300 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards most Mondays.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Once again this collecting year Willie McCovey has made an appearance in a few new products. This is great for keeping my player collection alive and having the ability to add new cards to my collection.

Today I thought I would show 2 recent pick ups:
These are both categorized as Stadium Club cards but the smaller of the two is the only card actually included in the pack release of 2016 Stadium Club.  It is a die cut insert from the Legends series.  It has a nice chrome finish and the die cut follows the background design nicely.  I am really happy that McCovey made an appearance in this set as the checklist is only 10 players long. I also picked up a Reggie Jackson for my player collection of him.  This was an insert set I contemplated collecting but decided to just go with my 2 guys.

The larger card is a 5x7 card that I believe was sold through Topps.com.  I picked it up on eBay.  There seem to be a ton of these 5x7 cards being produced and I think there are some 8x10s as well. I am not sure how I feel about these.  I have picked up a few but I don't feel compelled to seek out every last McCovey out there of these.  As you can see in the bottom left corner, these are limited and my copy is 03/49.  This card doesn't have the chrome finish nor is it die cut but it still looks pretty nice.

I have realized I have some work to do on Willie Mac's 2016 releases, might be time to do some shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment