Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Joy of a Completed Insert Set - 2000 Topps Hands of Gold

Since 2006, in addition to the Topps Flagship base sets, I have been collecting most of the insert sets as well.  I little while back I decided to fill some gaps in my collection and pick up the Topps insert sets from 1993 to 2005.  While I do have all the base sets in that range, this was a period where I didn't do a ton of collecting.  Most of the sets have been picked up in factory form or bought complete without opening many or any packs.  I have decided to share the different insert sets as I complete them to document my progress and share the sets in case they came at a lull in your collecting as well.

I am a sucker for die cuts and even though this set is small at only 7 cards, I am a big fan.
I really like the design of this 2000 Topps Hands of Gold insert set.  In addition to the die cut top, each card features the player in a fielding action photo.  I have seen too many sets that celebrate hitting with a fielding pose or fielding with a hitting pose - Topps got this one right.  One minor complaint I have is the use of the same glove on each card.  It would have been nice to switch it up with a catchers mitt for Pudge and lefty mitts for Bonds, Griffey and Gwynn.  Otherwise a strong showing from my perspective.  All of these players have strong defensive pedigrees with lots of Gold Gloves on their mantle.  The gold coloring and sunshine rays in the background are a great compliment to the rest of the card.


The cards backs are nice as well with another photo and the fielding stats and a listing of the years with Gold Glove victories.  The write up rounds up a very nice card, both front and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment