Thursday, August 15, 2019

Just for the "F" of It #15

It has been well over a year since I shared a card that I picked up Just for the "F" of it (that is fun for those of you who are new to the blog or don't have a long memory).  For this post I decided to share a set of 5 cards that I have picked up over the years.


These cards were inserted into 2008 Topps Finest and I recall a little bit of a stir when they first came out.  These were unannounced autos, Topps didn't share that these would be inserted prior to them starting to pop up in boxes.  The stir was caused when people thought or assumed that these were replacing autos of actual baseball players but I believe that wasn't the case, they were extra hits.

Topps TV is a YouTube channel put on by Topps and the first videos were back in 2006 with the oldest video on the channel being a rip of a case of 2006 Bowman Sterling Football.  These auto cards showcase the "characters" featured on the channel doing interview and card rips.  The channel was semi-active until 2012 then stopped producing content for a few years, starting back up in 2016.  Since then there has been some sporadic posting with the most recent being a Marvel promo just a few days ago.

 I picked up the Rachael and Felicia years ago at my LCS in CA.  They had a bid board and if stuff didn't sell it went into a 50% off bin at 50% off the starting price on the bid board.  I picked up Rachael and Felicia Just for the "F" of it, I think for 50 cents a piece.
Rachael's bat grip reminds me of an old school Ty Cobb grip

Felicia has some very nice penmanship, I wish some of the baseball signers would try this hard to make their auto legible

A few months back I was looking through and sorting some cards and came across the autos of these blond beauties and decided to find out a little more about the set.  My research resulted in the knowledge that there were a total of 5 cards in the set.  I quickly went over to COMC and found all 3 that I needed for pretty low prices and I picked them up.

Lindsey's auto looks like "UN" to me, do you think they are really twins?

Hollie was the only one to take the time and write her last name

I wonder if the "wow" inscription makes this a rare variation?
The ladies were all considered Rip Girls with Alan being the Rip Master, I wonder if that would fly just 11 years later in our ever increasing PC world?

This appears to be a case of the set completionist getting the best of me.  Ever go after a set just because?

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike...

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2012/08/chronicles-of-cardfoolery-4-rip-master.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not identical, fraternal possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda sad I know this, but Hollie Winnard was also a contestant on "Beauty and the Geek".

    ReplyDelete