Monday, April 30, 2012

McCovey Monday #3

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I missed last Monday. I am sure there probably isn't anyone who noticed (or cared) but I am disappointed in myself a little.  A couple weeks back I has 2 or 3 posts written, lined up and scheduled to be posted and not only did they not post, I lost all the content I had written.  I am an engineer by training (college) and an insurance guy by trade so writing doesn't come naturally to me.  Not saying I can't do it, just isn't in my wheelhouse.  To have to rewrite some posts so early in the game derailed me a bit but fortunately I didn't once question my entrance into the blogosphere.  I am having too much fun and making too many great trades.

For this weeks McCovey showcase card, we'll go back to 2005.  My McCovey checklist totals 2246 cards (and I haven't added Gypsy Queen yet) and 810 of them come from that crazy year of 2005.  McCovey has tons of cards in this Absolute release along with Upper Deck Hall of Fame, Prime Cuts, Leaf Sportscasters, Donruss Classics, and Diamond Kings.  While I have a decent number, this is the year of the biggest gaps.  One day I will get my want list posted for McCovey to see if I can luck into any of my needs.  He is a common eBay search for me as well.


This card features 2 very nice patches from Willie's time with the Padres.  McCovey played 321 of his 2588 career games with San Diego from 1974-76.  He also played 11 games with Oakland at the tail end of 1977 with the rest of his games being played with the Giants.  In those 321 games, he hit 52 HRs and had 167 RBI while batting .242, not the most impressive stats but he was at the end of his career.  So what do I like about this card?  It has to start with the patches, both are multicolored and show some stitching, very appealing to the eye. I also like that they look to be from two different areas of the uniform, not just one larger patch in two windows.  This card is numbered 32/44 with the 44 Willie worn during his career in honor of the great Hank Aaron.  It is somewhat hard to tell but this card is a bit shiny and like like shiny cards.  Luckily there is a picture of McCovey in his Padres Taco Bell-like uniform.  I am not a fan of mismatched photos, jersey pieces and team names on the card.

Overall a very nice card of McCovey that helps commemorate his time with the San Diego Padres.

1 comment: