Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 Collection Goal Update - 1962 Topps Giants Team Set

I have been pretty active over the last few weeks trying to make progress and/or finish off some 2013 collection goals.  I set a goal to finish up at least 5 of the 10 Giants Topps team sets from the 60s.  I have posted my 1969 and 1965 sets already.  This 1962 set took some real work and bargain hunting to finish it up within my budget.

From a book value perspective, there are 3 really big cards, #18 Managers Dream (Mays and Mantle), #300 Willie Mays and #544 Willie McCovey (short print and high number).  This team set also includes a Gaylord Perry rookie, a Mays All Star, an AL and NL Homer Kings card with Orlando Cepeda and Roger Maris, and Juan Marichal's 2nd year card.  A beast to complete but now that it is finished one of my favorites in my Giants collection.

First I will show off my more recent finds up close:
These first two I have acutally had for a while and decided to show them off once this team set was complete.  The Mantle Mays card is not totally centered but is not as bad as this scan makes it look.  I love these multi player cards and if it wasn't for the presence of Mickey Mantle on so many of them I have thought about starting a mini collection of these cards from the 50s and 60s.  It just doesn't get a whole lot better than these 4 legends on these two cards.

These two cards are higher numbers and were much more challenging to track down at a reasonable price (by my standards) than I would have expected.  These are also the last 2 card I received to finish up my team set.  I am a big fan of the 1962 design and even though these are standard posed shots, I still think they look great in this design.

Having to pick up a HOF rookie card in a team set is not always a pleasant experience to the wallet.  This Gaylord Perry wasn't cheap but I did wait around to get one at a price I thought was solid.  I love the 1962 Rookie Star design on this card, I am not that big a fan of the artwork. I would have much preferred an actual photo but I am still excited to have this card.

The final card was the biggie, the Say Hey Kid himself Willie Mays.  I have had a search saved on eBay for this card for months and finally scored this one for a decent price.  The surface isn't flawless and it does have some creasing in the bottom right corner but the card looks great in person.

So those were the final 6, here is the team set in all it's glory:



1 comment:

  1. Great looking team set! I look forward to someday having all of those as part of my '62 set....

    right now I can only dream

    ReplyDelete