Thursday, December 29, 2016

Just What I Need, Another Set to Pursue

I recently won an auction for a sweet looking Kellogg's card of HOF and Baseball Legend Cy Young, check it out.


When I was bidding, I thought this was a just a segment of the 1972 Kellogg's set, not aware there is also a 15 card All-Time Baseball Greats set with an impressive checklist:

1972 Kellogg’s ATG #1 Walter Johnson
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #2 Rogers Hornsby
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #3 John McGraw
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #4 Mickey Cochrane
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #5 George Sisler
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #6 Babe Ruth
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #7 Lefty Grove
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #8 Pie Traynor
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #9 Honus Wagner
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #10 Eddie Collins
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #11 Tris Speaker

1972 Kellogg's ATG #12 Cy Young
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #13 Lou Gerhig
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #14 Babe Ruth
1972 Kellogg’s ATG #15 Ty Cobb


I am a big fan of the 3D Kellogg's cards and a set like this would be great as part of my collection.  With this being my first, the other 14 cards now appear on my Set Want List.  Another cool aspect of these cards are the back, they are equally impressive.

Look at those write ups along with career and playoff stats.  I don't know if I recall a card back packing so much information.  Another set added to the Set Want List.

3 comments:

  1. I'm assuming that Babe has two cards because he was also a pitcher? I'm a little shocked to not see Christy Mathewson on the checklist.
    I also find it funny John McGraw is listed on a "Greatest Players Ever" checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, one Bambino is for "Greatest Right Fielder", as the set goes by position, and the other is "Greatest Player Ever". McGraw of course is there as "Greatest Manager".

      I still have a couple of these I actually got from cereal boxes back in the day. They really stuck to the early days...no Mantle or DiMaggio, and Traynor at 3B over Eddie Matthews is highly questionable, and that's not even mentioning guys who were still active.

      Delete
  2. It's a great set. For being over 40 years old, one of the greatest (and more popular) oddball issues, and being filled with legendary hall of famers... prices on these are very, very reasonable. Have fun building it.

    ReplyDelete