Thursday, January 5, 2017

2016 Black Friday COMC Order #3 - Modern Set Needs

My card collecting origins are as a set collector.  I have updated my set want list with quite a few sets I have been passively collecting in hopes there might be some traders out there with some of these sitting around collecting dust.  If you have base or insert cards from these sets, give my page a look: 1990 Swell Greats, 1991 Topps Archives, 1992 Studio, 1993 Ted Williams, 1993 & 1994 UD Fun Pack, 1995 Fleer, 1995 UC3, 1998 Metal, 1999 Fleer Brilliants, 2000 UD Hitter's Club, 2002 Fleer Box Set, 2003 Fleer Tradition Update, 2005 Topps Turkey Red, 2005 Topps Cracker Jack, 2008 UD Goudey, 2010 Topps Opening Day, 2011 Topps Pro Debut, 2012 & 2013 Topps Archives, 2013 USA Baseball, 2013 Pinnacle, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Topps Opening Day, 2014 Topps Heritage Minors, 2014 & 2016 Topps Archives, 2014 Panini Golden Age & 2015 Diamond Kings.

Wow, that is a lot of sets. Many of them started with a single box break and have pretty long lists.  Without some serious blogger help or more box breaks many of these will never be completed.

I did some damage on a few sets I have been working on as part of this COMC order.

 First up are the final 8 cards to complete my 2016 Donruss set.  I have every Donruss set in my collection and have completed the new ones from Panini over the last 3 years through box/pack breaks followed by trades and single purchases.  This is one that I should probably wait and buy as a complete set to save some cash but my pack ripping has been diminished quite a bit over the past couple years so I have to get my fix somehow. 


These two inserts are from the 2013 Topps Archives release.  These are two of my favorite insert sets either.  Unfortunately cards from this set are pretty rare and command fairly high prices, usually more than I am willing to pay.  In the case of these two cards, the price was right so I jumped.  My want list is on my Set Needs page if you have any sitting around.

These next 4 scans show cards I picked up for my 2008 Upper Deck Goudey set quest.  I bought some boxes of this product with the goal of building the set.  At the time I didn't realize how many SPs there were but I am pushing forward and trying to complete it.  After these purchases, I am 47 SPs away from finishing off the set -help!

The first 30 SP cards have this Derek Jeter says design (I wonder if a Jeter super collector would consider these part of their Jeter checklist?).  With the pick up of these 6, I now need 9 more for this subset.


The next subset of 20 cards is presidential in nature.  With these 7 cards in this order, I am down to needing only 2 presidents of the 20.


This subset features close ups of the players in black and white and tips about the game on the back.  It too is 20 cards in size and I need 4 more to finish it off.


This Sport Royalty subset is the largest by far, numbering 60 and unfortunately they are the shortest printed and hardest to find. They feature players across sports and I really like the look.  They are a big part of the reason I will go forward and try and finish this set.  I am not quite half way to this subset, needing 31 of the 60 cards.  You can see I picked up some big names like Favre, Elway, Magic, Jordan and Nolan but still have players like Brady, Kobe, Griffey Jr., Bird, Lebron and Tiger to go.  Wish me luck!


I while back I found a Sportlots auction for a partial set of 2005 Topps Cracker Jack.  I like the throwback design so I picked it up and have been working towards completing it. Again it is the SPs causing the issues.  After picking up these two cards (the Greinke is an SP while the Pudge is a regular base card) I am within 12 of finishing the set - 11 of those are SPs.  These are hard to find not to mention the price when I am able to track one down.


I am still working to complete my run of Fleer sets.  A couple years back I was able to pick up a complete Fleer Tradition set and a partial Fleer Tradition Update set.  I didn't realize that the high number rookies were short printed at the time but I have been working to get this update set completed.  With the pick up of this Barmes card and a couple orders from Sportlots and Beckett, I am down to a more manageable 19 cards on my want list.  My goal is to still try and finds lots from a single buyer to keep shipping down or pick them off as they pop up on COMC.

One of the things I miss most of my time in Orange County, CA was my LCS - MVP Sportscards.  The owners, Greg and Debbie, always kept a nice stock of older card boxes in stock.  That is where many of these set builds started.  One of the last boxes I picked up was 2000 Upper Deck Hitter's Club.  It consists of a 90 card base set and a few insert sets, all of hitters - no pitchers in this release.  My original box break brought me close to the base set but made me fall for the inserts. I did some serious damage to the master set in this COMC purchase.


This Roberto Clemente card was the final base card to finish of the 90 card set.  I had previously picked up the other 3-4 cards. Completing this set was one of the more exciting parts of this purchase.


I only pulled 2 of the 10 Accolades cards in my box but put the insert set to rest picking up these 8  I like the design and team color specific bottom borders.


This was the final card I need to complete the Epic Performances set, Hammerin' Hank put it to rest.


Only 1 Eternals card popped out of my box so with these 5 cards I am still 4 short of the set.  They are some big names - Ripken, McGwire, Griffey Jr. and Jeter but I will pick them up one of these days.


These generations cards feature a pair of players on each card and this group finished up my set.  I think the Sosa/McGwire card is one of my favorites.


 Finally the On Target inserts.  Again, my box only contained one of these so I am still 2 short of the 10 card insert set - Jeter and Vlad.  My monster want list for this set is now down to a manageable 6 cards. I will probably try and seek out some deals to finish this one up in the near future.


I bought a box of 2009 Finest back when it came out and finished up the base set with some trades and purchases.  I had gotten a few of the manupatch/autos in my break and picked up a couple more on the cheap. They are numbered and therefore technically a part of the set. After picking up this Ka'aihue card, I am a mere 4 cards away from finishing the entire thing!

And finally I will finish on a high note, something a set collector can always get excited about.  This Andy Pettite 1998 Sports Illustrated card finishes of my set.  I got this partial set from the same seller I got the 2005 Cracker Jack set from.  It needed a few cards that I had previously picked up and this one finished it off.

Lots of work towards my sets but only 2 completed.  Let me know if you have any help for me on any of these sets.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing some of your sets. It's always nice to put a set to bed after working on it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a box of 1990 Swell cards in Arizona to open. I'll take a look at your wantlist at that time. I should also may have a bunch of 1994 UD Fun Pack that I opened before I started my blog. I'll have to find it.

    ReplyDelete