Monday, March 24, 2014

McCovey Monday #45 - My Trade is Complete, Tell Me What You Think

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Earlier this month I posted about a trade I was about to complete involving sending away one of my favorite cards in my McCovey collection.  If you missed the post or forget the card I decided to trade, check out this post before going further...


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Last week I got the 2 cards in return to complete the trade.

This is the first card. It is another Autograph from the same 2005 Ultimate product but a different subset.  I liked the coloring of the card I traded away better than this one but the action shot on her is an improvement in my opinion.  Also, the circulation on this is twice as much being serial numbered /20 vs. /10.  I really like this card but when he offered it up, it just wasn't enough to part with the Decades card.

Here is what he threw in to sweeten the pot.
Another 2005 Ultimate card, this time a dual signature with Harmon Killebrew joining Willie Mac on a Signatures 500 HRs card.  This is a pretty rare card as well being serial numbered out of 35.  I think this is a beautifully designed card and it has the same McCovey picture and some of that orange coloring on the bottom half of the card.

Overall I do miss the card I gave up but I feel good about the trade.  The guy I traded it to completed a 90 card autograph Decades set and sent me a link to a photobucket page with all the cards - it is beautiful and I am glad he was able to finish his years long quest. I also have 2 nice, new high end McCovey cards in my collection.  Be gentle but let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a baseball trade that helps both teams. I'm jealous of your trading partner. I have a bunch of the Decades cards, not sure how many, but nowhere near 90. I know there are some 1 of 1's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you done good. The Killebrew/McCovey dual auto I think pushes it over in your favor a bit. Besides, what you traded away wasn't a 1/1. There are 9 more out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you both can't go wrong in this deal. The other guy got to complete a set, which was a kind gesture on your part. You got two sweet McCov's and a Killebrew to ease your pain. I would feel no pain when I held those two in my hands.

    ReplyDelete