Monday, October 8, 2012

McCovey Monday - #22 - 1981 TCMA


My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Today I thought I would share somewhat of an oddball card that I really enjoy as part of my Willie McCovey Collection.  This card was released by TCMA in 1981 to celebrate the 1962 NL Champion San Francisco Giants.  I am hoping this card may somehow inspire my team to get their act together against the Reds and make it a series.

 Here is the front of the card, I just love it.  First off, we have the bright orange border that fits great with the Giants color scheme.  Then you have Stretch holding 5 bats and pointing them at the camera.  McCovey was a huge man for this time period and this shows off his strength.  I am not sure this photo dates all the way back to 1962 (but it does go back quite a few years) but it does have an older Giants uniform. Also, you have to love McCovey sporting the major sideburns.

On the back, you get what you typically expect from a TCMA card.  Some older school font and some interesting information.  McCovey's famous first game is highlighted as is his performance during the 1962 season.  Interestingly, Willie was a part time player in 1962 despite a pretty impressive stat line.  His Career stats are also showcased in addition to those stats from 1962.

The 1962 Series is famous for a scorching line drive to end the game by McCovey with 2 men on in the 9th that if it had dropped in would have won the series for the Giants.  Here is an interesting article that recaps the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment