Monday, November 12, 2012

McCovey Monday # 26 - Famous Flannels Postcard


My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.


Every so often I will run across a non-card item of my favorite player and if the price is right I will pick it up.  Today's McCovey item is something I picked up several years back on eBay and I think it was pretty affordable. It is a postcard measuring 5 X 7 inches that was produced in 1994.

 The back shows it was published by Historic Limited Editions and the set appears to be titled Famous Flannels by Max Z Cards.  I know nothing about its origins but the front is pretty cool.  The big picture showing McCovey's famously retired #44 jersey is towering over Candlestick Park with an SF logo in the background.  The picture is actually a silky material.  The text is fairly short and to the point and highlights Willie's status as the first home grown San Francisco Giant superstar.  It also shows a limited print run of 300.

I am very happy to have this as part of my collection.  I would love to get more info about where it originated if anyone happens to know.  I have been a little to lazy to seek out any additional info but it sure is nice to look at!



No comments:

Post a Comment