Thursday, November 6, 2014

1980s All Star Game Game Program Inserts

One of the items on my Giants checklist I pulled out of Beckett are some inserts from the All Star Game programs.  As far as I can tell, there was a page or two in each program from 1981-1985 that highlighted players that were eligible to be voted into the All Star Game.  There are a few pitchers as well so it can't just be the players on the ballot.  Regardless, they are on my checklist and therefore I must try and complete the team sets.  I found an eBay seller who had these at a pretty cheap price and finished off my team sets for 4 of the 5 years, I still need the entire 1982 team set.

Here are the Giants I picked up:
 These inserts are paper thin and measure 2 inches by 1 1/4 inches, smaller than your typical Allen & Ginter mini.  The top 3 are from 1983 and the other 7 are from the 1984 All Star Game in San Francisco.

While I was shopping I also picked up these 4 for my various player collections.  The 2nd Winfield comes from the year the game was in Canada as you can see from his position designation.

I need to track down and buy the 1982 team set one of these days.

Does anyone else have any of these in their team or player collections?  Has anyone seen how they were presented in the All Star Game Program?

3 comments:

  1. I bought the 1981, 1984, and 1985 Brewers team sets off eBay a couple of months ago to split them up amongst my player collections and then for the team set. I'd be interested in seeing how they were displayed in the program as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished my team sets a couple years back. Cool little oddball sets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were indeed sheets inserted into the All Star Game Programs from 1981-1986. The one that Beckett doesn't list as a "set" is 1986, because that year, they printed player images on both sides of the paper, instead of using some sort of back for each player. As a result, every player has part of another player on the back of each "card"

    The actual All Star Programs are still fairly cheap to pick up on eBay.

    ReplyDelete