Monday, November 10, 2014

McCovey Monday #62 - 2014 Topps 75th Anniversary Buy Back of 1978 Topps Record Breaker

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I am not completely sure how I feel about these types of cards but since it was a McCovey I had to jump on it and add another card to my player collection.


This year to celebrate their 75th Anniversary, Topps stamped a bunch of their vintage cards with the silver logo you can see on the bottom left of this McCovey 1978 Record Breakers card.  These were inserted in all 3 series of their flagship products and I don't believe any other products.  I have traded away a couple and still have 11 sitting on my desk from various packs and boxes I have opened.  All the cards I have range in dates from 1968 - 1978 (1-68, 1-69, 1-73, 2-75, 2-76, 1-77, 3-78).  I think they go back to when Topps started but assume the older ones are quite rare.  I did a quick look through about 200 eBay auctions and found 1 card from 1980 (Rich Dauer) and the rest were from the 70s and earlier.

I haven't been checking often, but I have yet to see any other McCovey cards pop up.  For now this one will have to keep me happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment