Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Joy of a Completed Insert Set - 2002 Topps Hobby Masters

Since 2006, in addition to the Topps Flagship base sets, I have been collecting most of the insert sets as well.  I little while back I decided to fill some gaps in my collection and pick up the Topps insert sets from 1993 to 2005.  While I do have all the base sets in that range, this was a period where I didn't do a ton of collecting.  Most of the sets have been picked up in factory form or bought complete without opening many or any packs.  I have decided to share the different insert sets as I complete them to document my progress and share the sets in case they came at a lull in your collecting as well.

I finished up this set a little while ago, it is out of 2002 Topps.  These Hobby Masters cards are on a nice thick card stock but I am not really overwhelmed with the design.  It is a 20 card set that features star players with no other real purpose or connection.  These were found in 1 of 25 hobby packs (about 1 per box I believe) and 1 of 16 retail packs.

Here is a look at the cards:



Looks like Topps nailed the checklist on this set.  Outside of Carlos Gonzalez every one of these guys had a HOF career or a near HOF career.

Here is a look at the back of the cards, they feature a second up close portrait photo and a write up about the player. 
Hmm, I don't remember Bonds ever endearing himself to fans and collectors.

1 comment: