Saturday, April 11, 2020

Complete Set Showcase - 1987 Conlon Set - Part 2 of 3

This is part 2 of a 3 part series going through this very cool 1987 Conlon set.  As a reminder, here is a brief write-up about the set from beckett.com.  The second series of 60 Charles Martin Conlon standard-size sepia toned photo cards was produced by World Wide Sports in conjunction with The Sporting News. Reportedly 12,000 sets were produced. The photos were selected and background information written by Paul MacFarlane of The Sporting News.

If you want to look back at the first part of the set, you can check it out here.

I decided to break this into 3 different posts and include 4 cards in each scan.  To add a little more that just show the cards, I thought I would share one fact I found interesting from reading the backs.  I hope you enjoy.




Favorite Fact - Bob Meusel seemed to be a solid wingman that could keep up with the likes of Babe Ruth.



Favorite Fact - Pretty funny that a guy was accused of stopping enough at second when he could have gotten a triple to pad his double totals and set a record.  I looked it up and that record still stands!



Favorite Fact - The Sam Crawford card back is full of them, my favorite is learning how much he didn't get along with Ty Cobb and how much fun he had doing so.




Favorite Fact - Pretty cool that Duffy Lewis was on hand for Babe Ruth's first and last homer, what are the odds?



Favorite Fact - I had definitely heard of Goose Goslin and knew Goose had to be a nickname.  I never would have guessed it was a slam due to the size of his nose.

One more post to go, learning lots and enjoying this set as I go.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cool. I have almost nothing from this Conlon set so it's nice to see them, especially with the uber-informative backs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Donna is making her rounds. Anyways... Conlon's photography is fantastic. But the summaries on the backs are pretty darn cool too. Anytime you write about teammates partying, drinking, and eating steaks you'll have my attention.

    ReplyDelete