Monday, May 14, 2012

McCovey Monday #5

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

For today's installment of McCovey Monday, I thought I would share a couple card I got in today's mail.  I have other stuff to post that has been scanned for a week or two but these two cards inspired me to write a quick post.

First up is this beauty from 2011 Prime Cuts.  I picked this card up for $13.50 delivered off eBay. It is serial numbered 11/25 and I was pretty happy with the price.


I thought this card looked nice in the scan and am even more impressed with it in person.  The jersey is a vintage piece of jersey and the back says it was game-worn which would fit his era.  While the photo is small and the SF airbrushed off the card, I still like the front.  The colors give it an old school feel.  I really like the celebration of the 500th home run and enjoy the touch of adding the date.  On the back it indicates that he is the 3rd Giants after Ott and Mays to reach 500 HRs and lists the pitcher he hit the historic HR off of (one of these days I will start scanning the back of cards).  The card front also shows his famous 44 uniform number and overall I really like the design.  I have seen a few box breaks of this product on line and wasn't too impressed so I think I will stick to buying singles off eBay.

The second card is a printing plate from this year's Gypsy Queen.  It is the Magenta plate from the Moonshots insert set and is, of course, numbered 1/1.  I picked this up off eBay as well for $33.36 shipped and may have overpaid a bit.  I got caught up in the auction and went higher than I really wanted but it was a once in a lifetime chance to add another card to the McCovey collection.


I like this plate because you can still see the majority of the features of the card.  I have seen some plates where everything is unrecognizable and shy away from those.

Two nice pickups for the McCovey collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment