Monday, May 28, 2012

McCovey Monday #7

First, I would like to express my thanks and undying gratitude for those that have served and continue to serve our country to allow us to live freely in the greatest nation in the world, particular those that gave their life to protect and defend our country on this Memorial Day.  THANK YOU!

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I thought that this week I would go with a collectible that isn't a card but still a cool item that recognizes and celebrates the career of my favorite all time player.  This is a cup that was put out in 1972 by Seven-Eleven stores.  I have heard they were given away free with Slurpee purchases.

The front has a nice illustration and facsimile signature of Willie McCovey and lists his name and team at the bottom.

 The back has a big red Seven-Eleven logo at the top, the team logo at the bottom and a small blurb about the player.  The McCovey cup shows his typical baseball card info (Bats left, Throws left, Born 1938.  Height 6-6.  Weight 200.) along with some info celebrating his 1969 MVP year and 1971 stats.

There is a 60 card checklist of this 1972 release with many of the top players.  In addition to McCovey, this set has two other Giants, HOFers Willie Mays and Juan Marichal, both of which I need for my Giants collection.  I do have a Vida Blue cup in my collection of his cards and memorabilia.

Other notables include Henry Aaron, Johnny Bench, Roberto Clemente, Bob Gibson, Reggie Jackson, Fergie Jenkins, Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Pete Rose, Tom Seaver, Willie Stargell and Carl Yastrzemski.  These cups are not numbered and have book values ranging from $6-$30 however a quick eBay search does not show many of these for sale. 

In 1973 another set of these were issued, again with 60 players from that year but adding 20 Hall of Famers like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle.  I don't have any of the Giants from that year but the talent level drops off a bit from the 3 HOFers in 1972. The 1973 edition has HOFer Carl Hubbell, Ken Henderson and Chris Speier.




No comments:

Post a Comment