Thursday, January 21, 2016

One of My Favorite Autograph Sets Ever

I was recently able to pick up a new Giants card that not only features one of my favorite former Giants but also comes from one of my favorite autograph sets of all time.  Check out this JT Snow autograph:

The set is the 1999 SP Signature Edition Autograph set.  This design has always drawn me in.  I really enjoy the background color that matches that of the team, in the case of the Giants it is orange.   The colors are of the same shape in the background for all the cards and the players photo overlays it but then each card has a few cut out blocks to let in more of the photo background.  The team logo is in the bottom right corner and as a great added touch, a line is include for the autograph that starts with a diamond containing the players jersey number and a line with their name and position below.   I believe all the cards feature on card autographs.  Overall it is a great geometric design.

The Giants have 5 players in the set and I have 3 of them.  In addition to the JT Snow, I have star reliever Robb Nen:


Any my favorite player of all time, Willie McCovey.


The other two Giants on the checklist are Damon Minor (which should be a relatively cheap pick up) and Barry Bonds (just the opposite).  One day I would like to finish the team set.

There was a day when I considered going after the entire autograph set but I really don't need another collecting focus at this time.  While I do think the cards are great looking, going after a set of 150 autograph cards released 16 years ago seems like a little bigger than I would like to tackle.  In the meantime, I will enjoy my Giants.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. If I hadn't gotten hooked on the 2005 Decades set I might have gone after more of those. I think a haveat least on ore two each of both the baseball and football versions. To me they have a "mid-century modern" look

    ReplyDelete