Friday, April 18, 2014

2014 Donruss Game Gear Relic Giants Team Set

I am working on the 2014 Donruss set but I am struggling to find the Diamond King cards at prices I am willing to pay.  I was able to get three at my LCS for a buck a piece which was nice but I still need a ton to complete the set.  I didn't have that kind of problem hunting down the 3 Giants relics from this set. Here are the 3 Game Gear cards in my team set:

First up is  Rookie of the Year, 2 time World Series winner, NL MVP and Giants starting catcher, Buster Posey.  The lack of license hits you across the face with the cut off helmet and airbrushed jersey but I still kind of like the simplistic design of these cards.

Next up is wacky Giants right fielder and the inspirational leader of the team Hunter Pence.  Hunter is off to a slow start this year but I have confidence he will be back around the 20-25 HR, 90-100 RBI levels by year end.

 The final card is of Giants ace and a future Cy Young Award winner Madison Bumgarner.  Big news around the Giants is that Madison recently shaved off his bead which is featured prominently on this card.  He is a pretty young looking guy without the facial hair, I kind of thought that was why he grew it in the first place.

 I don't scan the backs of cards too often but these impressed me for a couple reasons. First there is a nice little write up of each player on the back, seems like today it is much more likely to just put all the disclaimer language on the back and punt but I like the 5 line write ups on these cards.  The second thing I like is the simple card numbering.  There is no fancy schmancy GG-BP or some other conglomeration of initials, just a simple 1, 2, 3... numbering system.  Solid job by Panini on this Donruss resurrection.

Since I showed the backs all together, I figured I would share the fronts as a team set as well.  A nice looking trio of relics in my humble opinion.

1 comment: