Monday, April 7, 2014

McCovey Monday #47 - My First McCovey - 1979 Topps

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

Today I thought I would share my first ever Willie McCovey card:

1979 was the first year I collected cards and this McCovey was the first card of his that I ever had as part of my collection.  I am amazed by some bloggers' recall of pulling specific cards out of specific packs - while cards have always been an important part of my life, I just don't have recollections of many pack openings.  I do recall seeing this card for the first time and loving Willie in his home whites with the orange Candlestick seats in the background. 

I have had the chance to upgrade this card before (it isn't in bad shape but does have a bottom right corner issue and isn't quite centered) but since this was my first Willie Mac card, it will always remain part of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment