Tuesday, April 15, 2014

McCovey Monday #48 - 2005 Upper Deck Origins

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I was thumbing through my binder tonight looking for a McCovey card to showcase since I haven't picked up any new ones lately and for some reason this page stood out:

I recall going after all these cards and parallels back in the mid to late 2000s but don't really know much about the set so I thought I would do a little research to quench my thirst and share with anyone else who has a curiosity about the set.

According to Beckett.com, here is a description of the set:
 This product was released in July, 2005. The basic 200-card set was issued in 22-card tins (of which one card was a nostaglic tin sign) with an $70 SRP which came 24 tins to a case. Cards number 1-100 feature active veterans while cards 101 through 150 feature retired players and cards numbered 151 through 200 feature young prospects. Collectors opening up this product were surprised that other than the Nostaglic tin, that the other cards just seemed to be tossed around in the box. Cards 201-286 were distributed within packs of '05 Upper Deck Update in February, 2006. These 86 Update cards were seeded at a stated rate of 1:2 packs.

I can say with virtual certainty that I have never seen one of these tins and know for sure I never opened one.  I would suspect with colored borders and how this describes the packaging that there would be lots of corner wear on the cards but I am either mistaken or lucked out, no real damage to my McCovey cards.  Apparently the tins featured one of four players, Derek Jeter, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb or Walter Johnson.

The first 4 McCoveys are numbered 115 and consist, order, of the base card (unnumbered), the red parallel (80/99), the blue parallel (45/50) and the gold parallel (06/20).  The only card I am missing is the black parallel 1/1.  

The second 4 McCoveys are the Old Judge cards.  I am not sure exactly how to characterize them.  Beckett calls them parallels yet the card number is all different, McCovey is 124 instead of 115 and it looks like the others are all different numbers as well.  My page isn't organized well but in order I have the gold parallel (13/20), base, red parallel (50/99) and blue parallel (46/50). Again I am only missing the black parallel 1/1.

Overall I like the design of these cards. The regular cards have a neat background of some empty stadium sets which looks cool to me.  the Old Judge appear to be framed minis although the frame is just some coloring with a design.  I wish I would have been able to track down of the 1/1 cards as the only thing in my mind that makes this page better is a full page of 9 different cards.

If anyone has stories of cracking this product or watching someone do so, please share. 

1 comment: