Monday, April 28, 2014

McCovey Monday #50 - 2013 Panini

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.


I thought I would show off my newest addition to the McCovey collection.  This is a First Class insert card out of Panini's high end America's Pastime release.  I really like this look of this card.  I have a solid US stamp collection (which has sat dormant for a few years) so I typically like stamp themed cards.  The First Class name plays on the postage stamp theme as well.  There is a nice painting of Willie Mac watching a towering homer and a post mark to finalize the stamp theme.  Another thing I like is the zip code included on the front for San Francisco.  I did a quick search and found out that this is the zip code of Candlestick Park where McCovey played with the Giants and not AT&T Park - good move Panini.  As you can also see this card is serial numbered 080/125.  All the cards in this release were numbered to 125 or less.


 I thought I would share a peek at the back as well.  Not a super exciting design but I do like the write up on Stretch.  The auto is a nice touch.  It doesn't look spot on to McCovey's signatures that I have on cards but isn't so far off that I think it is generic.  I would like to see some other cards out of this set to see.

Willie's only other cards in this set are parallels of this card numbered /25, /10 and /1 and a booklet card with Juan Marichal /59, /25 and 15.  I may be able to track down one of the booklets if I get lucky but this may end up the only card from this set I add to my McCovey collection.

1 comment: