Monday, March 16, 2015

McCovey Monday #73 - 2015 Topps Highlight of the Year Insert

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1200 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

It has been a few weeks since I posted a McCovey card maybe due to the lack of new cards coming out.  I have 3 binders full of his cards but I have been too lazy to pull them off the shelf and scan some cards.  Willie only had 2 cards in the Series 1 Topps 2015 release, a relic that I don't have yet and this insert:

This card if from the Highlight of the Year insert set and celebrates McCovey's 3rd career pinch grand slam.  I find it hard that there is nothing else from that year that tops this highlight but I am very glad Topps picked this accomplishment to celebrate. My Willie Mac collection extends beyond his time with the Giants, since he is shown as a Padre, I only needed two copies of this card (one for the McCovey binder and one for the set) and have been able to add them already.  The design of the front is solid, the year is very prominent but since there is only 1 card per year and there is a focus on the year for the set That makes sense.  The big baseball in the background looks pretty cool and the photo of the player is big enough for me.  I just wish this was a new photo.

I decided to scan the back as well, I haven't seen many of these insert backs featured on other blogs.  I think it is appropriate to have a little bigger write up on the back with a little more info about the event.  The baseball follow to the back and looks good.  I am so happy Topps went back to numbering the inserts instead of initials, makes it so much easier for us set builders.

I hope to see Willie in some more releases during 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment