Thursday, March 12, 2015

Trade Post - The Chronicles of Fuji

In the last few weeks I have received 2 super cool PWEs from Fuji of The Chronicles of Fuji.  It has been a while since I have sent any cards Fuji's way and I am looking forward to putting a return package together soon.  He has a pretty wide ranging collection and I am hoping I can plug a few holes.

The first card in the first package was none other than an autographed card of Mr. Fuji himself.  I love these cards and now have a trio in my collection.  I have a page in my misc. binder devoted to cards from fellow collectors and this card will have a prominent place next to his brothers.

The rest of the PWE contained 2 cool autographed cards.
First up is a Signatures Rookie autograph from former Giants super prospect Dante Powell.  Powell never fulfilled his potential but this is a really nice looking swing on a sharp looking card.  I love how these 90s cards were "limited" to 7,750 copies - imagine how sore his hand must have been after signing that many cards!
Fuji also sent me another prospect auto but this one is of someone who had a solid career in the majors, Ben Petrick, and happens to be a player I collect.  Many of my player collections are of higher end players, it is super cool to get a certified auto card of a guy I collect in a just because PWE.  I don't think I have ever fully explained my inspiration for my Petrick collection, I need to go back in old posts and see, but it is related to his fight against Parkinson's Disease, a fight my Grandmother lost a number of years back.

On to PWE 2 that was just received this week.

 This Clear Path to Greatness card is an acetate card and looks great in person. The Orange in the background matched up to the Giants colors is sweet. The only thing that makes this card better would be losing the sticker auto and making it on card but even with this flaw it is a great looking card - makes me miss Upper Deck.

 This card looks better in person, the shiny doesn't come through well in the scan. I am a sucker for players in catchers gear and add in the cool Giants patch on the sleeve and this is a nice looking card.  Again a sticker auto but this is a little better hidden.

Finally my favorite card of PWE 2 - a nice Fleer Inscribed Merkin Valdez auto serial numbered 232/750.  I can't pinpoint why but I really enjoy this design.  Valdez didn't do too much in the majors but I feel like I have quite a few of his autographed cards.  On Beckett he shows 431 total cards with 117 autos. Seeing what percentage of his cards I have may be a fun side project one day.

Thanks Fuji for the great cards and the great writing on your blog! I love your flea market finds and the great posts on your blog.

1 comment: