Tuesday, June 19, 2012

McCovey Monday #10

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I was going to stick with my trend of alternating recent McCovey cards with vintage for McCovey Monday but Fuji has a contest going asking what your favorite vintage card is and since mine is a McCovey, I figured I would show it and pick up some bonus points in his contest.

My favorite is this 1962 Willie McCovey.  There are a few reasons this is my favorite:
  • Overall card design - 62 Topps is one of my favorites, I love the wood border
  • This is a short printed card and tough to come by
  • It is tied for the highest "book value" of any McCovey base card due to its scarcity and popularity
  • I never thought I would add this card to my collection due to the high cost but I stumbled across an eBay auction, tossed in a bid and was lucky enough to win it for a very reasonable cost
  • I like the cartoon on the back but think they could have come up with a highlight a year or two more recenty
  • I usually like action photos but for some reason this picture works for me
  • While condition isn't a huge factor for me, this is in pretty nice condition.
I am not big on valuing my cards but I really thought this one was out of reach when I was able to pick it up.  I still remember the excitement I felt when I won the auction and completed my 1960s run of Willie Mac.  There you have it, my favorite vintage card in my collection.



1 comment: