Monday, June 11, 2012

McCovey Monday #9

 My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I have been going back and forth between vintage and modern card releases each week so I guess it is time to showcase a vintage card.  Typically when I pick up a higher dollar card or one that has eluded me for a while I remember the details about picking it up.  For some reason, I have no recollection regarding this card.


This card is a 1964 Topps Stand Up of my favorite player.  The outline surrounding Willie is perforated and was designed to be punched out and stood up.  The front has the yellow and green backgrounds, gives instructions on how to perforate and shows the players name, team and position.  While McCovey is best known for his work at 1B, he did play some outfield.  With HOFer Orlando Cepeda on the same team the Giants needed to find ways to get both bats in the lineup. I guess they figured Willie Mays could cover enough ground.  There is also a small facsimile signature on the front.  The back is blank and there is no card numbering.

This set was released with 77 different player cards.  Of the 77, 22 were single printed and 55 double printed making the 22, including the McCovey short prints.  Stars included in the SP grouping include Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Billy Williams and Carl Yastrzemski.   There are some other great stars in this set including Mays, Aaron, Mantle, Banks, Koufax, Brooks and Frank Robinson and Clemente.

This type of card has been previously released in 1951 with a set of Connie Mack's All Stars with Gehrig and Ruth headlining the set and Major League All Stars headlining Yogi Berra and Robin Roberts.  We have seen other stand up cards throughout the years in some odd ball issues, a 1991 Topps Test Issue, 3 Bazooka releases in the 2000s and most recently in last years Lineage product. 

This McCovey has a small crease at the top near the bat and a little border roughness but it hasn't been perforated and is in pretty nice condition.  It books for $120 and there are only 2 for sale on eBay right now starting at $60. I see one sold recently for under $20.  I know I have had mine for a number of years but have no recollection surrounding the acquisition.  I am guessing I got lucky in an auction at one time.

Hope you enjoy this oddball McCovey release. Do you have a favorite oddball card of your favorite player? 

1 comment: