Monday, March 18, 2013

McCovey Monday #34 - 2012 Panini National Treasures Relic

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

This is the first time in a few weeks I have had a new Willie McCovey card to pursue.  With the release of 2012 Panini National Treasures a few weeks back Stretch has a few new cards to add to the checklist.  Take a look at this new relic I picked up for under $6:

 Those who are not fans of the cut off hats in order to stay away from the logos may not like this card but I kind of like this card.  It has a nice classic look to it with the gold coloring.  I like the blue banner under his pic with his name as well.  This is a picture I am not familiar with which is always a plus for me.  The jersey swatch is in a fancy shield cutout as well.

Here is the back of the card, it showcases his career stats including those famous 521 Home Runs.  The OBP and Slugging Percentage are there as well - note McCovey's OPS approaches .900 for his career.  The card is serial numbered 73/99 and the write up highlights his 1969 MVP season.  Overall not a spectacular card but quite solid.

Unfortunately, this will probably be the only card from this set I will secure.  He has 6 other cards, all serial numbered to 5 or less.  I lost out on a bid on the 3/3 Prime card with a 3 color patch in place of the grey swatch on my card.  I was willing to go to about $40 and it sold for more than $80.  If I am going to break the bank it would probably be on one of the button cards of which only 4 exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment