Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Travelling Box

I recently received the traveling box of cards. If you aren't familiar with it, a group of collectors each placed a few cards into a box and now it gets mailed around to each of the contributors.  When you get the box, you can take anything out of it and must replace it with something of equal or greater value.  It has been a fun way to add some new cards to my collection.  Mike over at Bad Wax got the box started.

Here are my goods from my second go around with the Traveling Box:

 The first card I quickly claimed was a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas rookie.  While I have the 1990 Topps set I didn't have a separate rookie card of the Big Hurt. Not a high dollar card but a great pick up in my opinion.
 Next up is a Walter Payton Stop and Go 3-D card from 1979.  This card is in pretty nice shape with no cracks and while I am a 49er fan, I have a lot of respect for Sweetness.  Years ago I started a collection of his cards but didn't get too far. His rookie card was way outside my price range but some day I may go after all his cards from his playing days.  Whether I go down that path or not, I am happy to have this gem in my collection.
  I have always appreciated the 1968 Topps design and I think they did a pretty good job with the All-Star cards.  I don't have many (if any) in my collection so claiming this Carew was an easy decision.  I only clearly remember Rod as an Angel and maybe for that reason his cards with the Twins always stand out to me.
 I have been working on the 1972 set and have over 200 different cards right now with a goal of 250 by YE.  When I saw a star like Reggie available in pretty good shape I had to jump at it.  It isn't often you get to trade for one of the more expensive cards in a set.  Just like Carew with the Twins, I really like Reggie cards with the A's.
My final card is a Barry Bonds Allen & Ginter relic.  I didn't have this card in my Giants collection so again this was an easy choice.  I traded it for a really nice Derek Jeter relic, I think that was a pretty even trade but since I have a few Jeter relics it worked out well for me.

I am already looking forward to what new gems will appear the next time the box makes in back to Southern California.

5 comments: